Monday, July 22, 2013

Fair to Share: Marionberry Rosemary Scones

There were Marionberries in my share this week! This was a fantastic surprise. Marionberries are indigenous to Oregon. They are a kind of blackberry, but are larger, sweeter, and juicier than other varieties. You can use other kinds of berries here, but if you can get ahold of some organic, Oregon Marionberries I suggest you grab them.

Since these were early season berries, I decided to bake with them. This scone recipe is perfect for sharing. I gave some to my parents, some to my friends Eric and Lisa at Eric's birthday party, and some to my friend Shannon just before we went to the Oregon Country Fair. (Which, like the Marionberry, is unique to Oregon.) Sharing food makes me happy!

This is a sign from OCF that I thought was apt.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1.5 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1.5 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 heaping cup marionberries
  • Optional: additional egg and cinnamon/sugar blend


Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 400. Sift dry ingredients together. Add rosemary. Add butter and mix in mixer or by hand until pea-sized crumbles appear. Add egg and sour cream; mix to combine and just bring together. (Add a bit more sour cream, or milk or water if needed to bring together.) Need lightly and bring dough into a ball. On a floured surface, press out in a circle about a 1/4" thick. Put berries on half and fold the dough over. Press edges to seal. (You could brush edges with beaten egg to help seal if you want.) Cut into pieces - whatever size or shape you want. I sort of did triangles and ended up with 13 pieces.) Place pieces on a baking sheet - line with parchment paper if you also hate clean up. If you want, you can brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar blend, as I did. You could also ice (flavored with lemon or almond would be nice) or leave plain. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool long enough that you don't burn your mouth on the berry filling - trust me. 



 Yummy even if they are different shapes.

It is important to sample before you share. 

You could also make this without the rosemary or with another herb. I think lavender would be yummy or lemon thyme. Let me know if you come up with something marvelous. 

With Eric's birthday and OCF, the weekend was also about silly fun. I attempted to get into the themes.

Princess Leia buns for Star War's themed birthday & OCF flower child braid w/honeysuckle from yard


















Hope you are all enjoying - and sharing - what is on your table at the moment too!

No comments:

Post a Comment