Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Too hot to cook (not me, the weather): chicken salad

Last week I thought it was just too hot to cook most nights. So salads ruled the table. Fortunately I got the most lovely lettuce in my CSA share this week - and more cabbage too. (I pickled the cabbage with some onions thrown in too and added it to almost everything. Maybe I'll do a "Portlandia" inspired pickle it! blog post sometime.)

See - isn't it pretty? I think it looks like a rose.

I made a really nice chicken salad, made even more wonderful by the Red Flame Grapes in my share and the addition of cucumber from my parents' garden. 

Ingredients for about 4 servings:
  • 2 cups chopped chicken (I used some leftover rotisserie chicken. Tuna would work too.)
  • 3 oz. non-fat Greek yogurt (half a container)
  • 2 tsp. mayonaise (whatever kind you have)
  • 1/4 C finely diced onion
  • About 1/2 - 3/4 C grape halves
  • Herbs (I used about 1.5 Tbsp. fresh basil and 1.5 tsp. dried tarragon. I LOVE tarragon in chicken salad!)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 cups salad greens with whatever veggies you want/have (I had shredded carrot and chopped cucumber in mine. I'm not going to tell you how to make green salad.)

Directions:
Gently mix everything except the last ingredient (salad greens). Divide greens among 4 plates - or just put what you want on your plate. Top with about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture. If I'd had celery, I probably would have added diced celery to the chicken mixture. You could also add chopped nuts or sprinkle some on top. 


 Simple, delicious, and didn't heat up my kitchen.

So this was the cold plate on my table in the hot moments of mid-summer. Hope what is on your's is just as cool and satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment