Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Patty Pan Squash - Cute & Versatile

Patty pan squash are so darn cute you'd think I would have taken a bunch of pictures of them. I didn't. Sometimes I just enjoy the moment and not try to capture it, alright? I'm sure you all know how to google search and find a picture to oh and ah over.

They are also versatile. I chopped one up to put in a mix of roasted veggies. I sliced one into rounds for  squash parmesan. I stuffed and grilled three others. You get the idea.

The patty pan squash parmesan was a favorite. It tasted decadent, but was secretly healthy. I have a deal not to tell my tastebuds.

Ingredients:

  • Patty pan squash (I used the biggest one I got for this - may have been 4" diameter at most.)
  • Olive oil - I still don't measure this
  • Tomato sauce (buy or make your own. I used tomato paste mixed with red wine until it had sauce consistency and added dried italian herbs, salt, garlic until it tasted good.)
  • Grated parmesan cheese - enough to lightly cover the surface of each slice. Amount will depend upon size of your squash.
  • Gremolata: 4 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 cup finely diced onion, olive oil/buter, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs, 6-8 basil leaves torn or cut into small bits
  • More basil for garnish - because it is prettier that way

Directions:
Slice the squash about 1/4" thick. Brush with olive oil. Roast or grill at 400 for about 7-10 min. and then flip. Top with sauce and cook another 5 min. Top with parmesan cheese and cook until melted. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, prepare gremolata on the stovetop. Cook garlic and onion in oil and/or butter over medium heat until soft and golden. Mix in breadcrumbs, stirring frequently until toasted. Add basil and stir to combine. Remove from heat.

Top squash with gremolata and broil or keep on grill until lightly browned/crisp. (I didn't quite use it all - but put remainder on top of stuffed patty pans later.)  Top with basil chiffonade just before serving. See, I told you adding the basil just before serving made it look pretty.


Finished product. Somewhere between eggplant parmesan and a mini-pizza.

I swear to you that the cooked patty pan squash tastes like (and almost has the consistency of) butter. If you think you or your family doesn't like squash, you've probably made one of two mistakes:
  1. Used one of those giant, seedy, watery ones. (Smaller is better with squash.)
  2. Not given it the royal treatment it deserves: garlic, olive oil, fresh herbs.

Plenty of patty pan and other summer squash on my table at the moment. Counting the ways I love it. Hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment