Sunday, July 21, 2013

First CSA Share: Asian Chicken Slaw

I've wanted to get a  CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share for a long time. But I was never thinking about it at the right time or was lazy or busy or something. I've been working on having healthier habits and all that stuff we are supposed to do, blah blah blah. One day I just decided to go for it. I signed up and picked up my first share.

It was like Christmas in July. A weekly surprise present - just for me. Aww... you shouldn't have... wait, yes, you definitely should!

This is a picture of what was in that first lovely share.

Oh, the possibilities, the recipes dancing in my head. My mouth watered. I decided to make something that would use as may of the things I received as possible. Go big or go home. And so, Asian Chicken Slaw I made. You can easily make it vegetarian by leaving out the chicken. Add your favorite protein to make a complete meal.

Slaw:

  • 1/2 head Napa Cabbage (or other variety), finely sliced
  • 3 carrots, julienned
  • Big handful of sugar snap peas, sliced 1/2" pieces on diagonal
  • 1/2 apple (golden delicious or other sweet variety), cut into match sticks
  • Chopped or torn fresh purple basil, mint, and/or cilantro - about 1/3 - 1/2 cup total
  • 1 grilled chicken breast, diced (I seasoned with Asian Seasoning blend)
Dressing:

  • 2 Minced garlic cloves (I had big spring garlic cloves, so its an estimate since the cloves are still kind of forming.)
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce 
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger (use fresh if you want. I love fresh ginger, but like ground in dressings)
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper as you wish
Directions:

Mix all the slaw ingredients together. Put all dressing ingredients in a small container with a good lid (a small canning jar, tupperware dressing mixer thing, repurposed jelly jar - all will work) and shake it until thoroughly combined. NOTE: It helps if you dance around your kitchen while you do this. It makes for happy, thoroughly blended dressings. Pour dressing over slaw and toss to coat.

This is a picture of tossing the dressing into the slaw.

It was good the next day, too. If you have somewhat different veggies on hand to add to the cabbage, just use those. Best if they are somewhat firm if you want to have leftovers that aren't soggy. If you don't have the fresh herbs to add, you can get by without them. If you just aren't an herby person, well I can only think I haven't fed you before. Because they are delicious.

That is what is on my table in this moment. Hope you enjoy what is on yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment